PARISH HISTORY

CHRONOLOGY

June 1876: Bishop Henni sent Fr. Bogacki to oversee the organizing of Polish parish
August 1876: Work began on the church structure
1887: School building and lots were purchased
October 1896: St. Peter's church was destroyed by fire
May 1897: Construction of the new church building was awarded to Joseph Hutter
December 1897: The new structure was dedicated and blessed by Bishop Messmer
January 1898: New pipe organ and Stations of the Cross blessed
June 1901: St. Peter's celebrated its Silver Jubilee
1910: Side altars were donated by two anonymous parishioners
September 1914: Installation of new Stations of the Cross donated by parishioners
Early 1915: Sanctuary and sacristies were built. Oil ceiling paintings donated by parishioners. Main altar donated by John J. Bukolt.
December 1915: New sanctuary, bells, altar and Stations of the Cross were blessed by Bishop Rhode
1922-1923: Church basement remodeled into parish hall with a stage and complete kitchen
Early 1926: Installation of seventeen new stained glass windows
1928: New steeple cross erected and covered with gold leaf
1929: Complete cleaning and painting of church interior
September 1930: Dedication of new organ donated by Bukolt Family
Fall 1943: East and West side entrances were added. Confessionals recessed in the church walls
Spring 1944: Pulpit moved to the sanctuary. Interior of the church was renovated and new light oak pews were installed
1946: Church tower clock was electrified
1947: Steeple was remodeled. Exterior masonry was sand blasted. Interior of church was thoroughly washed and cleaned
1963: Communion rail lowered and thorough cleaning of the entire worship area
1969: New steps for the front of the church were placed. The organ was cleaned and renovated
1970: Kitchen equipment was installed in the church hall kitchen
1973: New roof, wiring, light fixtures and complete redecorating including carpeting
August 23, 1976: Karol Cardinal Wojtyla visits St. Peter Church
Spring 1993: Organ-mechanical renovations take place with up to date electronics. Heating system is switched from steam to hot water. New roof is put on the church and steeple.
1994: Renovation of the church hall, later renamed as Kolbe Hall
1994-1995: Re-ordering of the church. Reconciliation room designed and installed. Entire church redecorated including statues, Stations of the Cross and ceiling paintings
September 1995: Bishop Raymond Burke rededicates the worship area
1996: Kolbe Hall kitchen is remodeled and new appliances and equipment are installed
Fall 1996: Church tower clock faces are replaced
Spring 1997: Computerized electronic clock system is installed.
July 1997: One hundred year celebration included the revealing of the contents of the cornerstone and dedication of Joyful Mother/John Paul II sculpture.
June 2001: Celebration of 125 years of the Foundation of St. Peter's Parish.


More historical data and pictures:

Portage County Historical Society Archives

http://www.pchswi.org/archives/church_histories.html

Waclaw Soroka's history of Polish Parishes and Churches

Religions in Portage County (an interesting perspective)

Learn about Cardinal Wojtyla's visit to Saint Peter Catholic Church.